Author Topic: Lawsuit File by Darrell Russell's Widow for Wrongful Death  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Griswald

• Outlaw

Offline PaCeMkr86

• Top Fueler
    • www.ccstreetscene.com
Lawsuit File by Darrell Russell's Widow for Wrongful Death
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 08:50:26 AM »
interesting

Offline FACTORY STREET

• Comp Eliminator
    • http://www.Factorystreet.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 09:48:51 AM »
If any of you watched qualifying yesterday they interviewed via phone Darrells brother and he said the Russell family does not agree with Julies suite and they want no part of it.

Offline Randy

• Outlaw
  • Ain't no rest for the wicked
    • damned ol internet man, just go click click wwww
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 10:16:41 AM »
I heard the interview yesterday.  I would definitely say that Darrell's family does not agree with her and have some issues with her.  
I hope she is not after monetary support, that would hurt the industry in the long run.
I can understand her wanting them to disclose information on the cause of the accident, but going after cash is wrong.  Everyone from the racing community came together to make sure she was taken care of after the accident.
One less nut in the motor.

Offline alabamawildman

• Top Fueler
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 10:40:52 AM »
listening to darrell's brother last nite on tv, he said they had issues with her before darrell married her(that was a shocker)-i'm surprised she hasnt sued joe amato also for putting darrell in the situation(driving),since she's suing nhra,simpson,goodyear-darrell's brother did say that him, his mom and dad are starting their own top fuel team and going to run ihra next year and move up to nhra
Tommy\"dr.hook\"Freeman-Austin,Tx<br />Track Manager/Director Track Operations- Desert Thunder Raceway \"the west texas house of hook\" Midland Tx

Offline FACTORY STREET

• Comp Eliminator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 10:44:12 AM »
That is going to be cool... Family Top Fuel Team based right in our back yard... We wish them well...

Offline Al

• Pro Stocker
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 11:53:58 AM »
The guys job was driving a car over 300 MPH,  and I'm sure he knew that bad things could happen if an accident was to occur.  She just wants some money.
Al

Offline qwikstang

• Comp Eliminator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 02:56:11 PM »
Goes with the territory, I'm sure D.R. knew that and so did she. It's all about money.

Offline BigS1975

• Top Fueler
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 07:26:28 AM »
I Think it's a dumb decision on her part.When you race IN A sanctioning body and a class like Top Fuel,you know what could happen.I'm sure D.R.signed the waiver that states the dangers of the sport and releases the track and NHRA from accidents including serious injury,death,or dismemberment.I wish good luck to the Russells and their new team.
a nitrous button is like a hot girl with an std.. you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences

Offline 1FASTFOX

• Pro Stocker
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 09:40:37 AM »
When will we learn to take responsibility for our own actions?  He got behind the wheel of a 300MPH vehicle...I'm almost certain he (and his family) were aware of the implications.  Everybody always wants to point the finger at someone else, and profit from it.  What would Darrell say if he could comment on his wife's decision?

Offline Greg Duffield

• Comp Eliminator
    • ACS Data Recovery
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 11:02:38 AM »
I think the major issues around this are NHRA's secrecy of information regarding the circumstances and the cause of death that is supposedly not being released.  Also, there are the mandates that NHRA imposes in regards to teams having to run a certain tire in competition.  They had a tire that was perfectly fine, then they switched and had trouble, then they switched and had more trouble, then they came up with the tires in question and had even bigger problems.  

Even with the tire chunking, and the issues that mandated teams use those particular tires, I don't see the need for a lawsuit.  If the teams would have sacked up and just went on strike until something was done, I can almost guarantee a magical cure would have been found to the chunking problem in a race or two.  I don't think I've ever seen NHRA holding anyone's hand or forcing any driver to strap themselves into a 330MPH time bomb.

I think if I had made a run or two on tires, and saw that half the sidewall was gone after a run, I'd probably think twice about getting back into it.  Sorry, I'd give my left one to drive a fuel car, but I love my wife and kids too much to put them through that.  Especially when nearly every other Top Fuel team was having the exact same problem.
Greg Duffield
ACS Data Recovery
Hard Drive Data Recovery Services
http://www.acsdata.com

Offline Hildagar

• Outlaw
  • Pit Biscuit
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 02:00:41 PM »
I agree with you.
Ponybabe's Pit Beach

Offline damage

• Jr. Dragster
    • http://www.fastmustangs.com
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 08:32:37 PM »
Quote from: Temple Academy
I don't think I've ever seen NHRA holding anyone's hand or forcing any driver to strap themselves into a 330MPH time bomb.

Maybe not. But we have seen plenty of instances where safety didn't always come first, ie. F1, Nascar, GTP. And the teams aren't in a Union are they? They are all after two things, money and sponsors. And you can't get either one if you don't race.

I'm not saying she should get any money. And the lawyer said they didn't specify any monetary amount. Nor has this gone any further than Goodyear yet.... should be interesting.

BTW, I really don't know shit about all this, just mouthing off.

Offline Greg Duffield

• Comp Eliminator
    • ACS Data Recovery
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 10:40:49 PM »
Nor has this gone any further than Goodyear yet.... should be interesting.

Actually, the NHRA and Simpson Racing Products are also part of the suit, along with Goodyear.

I can see NHRA and Goodyear, because there is a history there, but to me, bringing in Simpson tells me it's all about the $$$$$$ regardless of what her attorney says (and he ain't doing this for free).  What did Simpson do?  We know he died of a head injury, but if they don't even know the exact circumstances involved, then how can they bring Simpson into the deal?  Like I said, I can see NHRA and Goodyear, because a good lawyer can probably swing a case for negligence on their part, but Simpson??? Give me a flippin' break.
Greg Duffield
ACS Data Recovery
Hard Drive Data Recovery Services
http://www.acsdata.com

Offline FACTORY STREET

• Comp Eliminator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 05:28:04 AM »
Well the thing I don't understand is that in the original video and review they believed the engine came apart and hit the tire as well as a piece of the engine hitting the helmet. Now all of the focus has gone to Goodyear. So if it turns out to be engine failure which we all know they are a bomb with a 1320' fuse will she go after Amato or the mfg of the parts?